Caregiver Assistance Network Workshops
Upcoming workshops & events:
FREE CLASSES FOR CAREGIVERS
- Caregivers of Older Adults Fall Session: 2:00 – 3:30pm; Thursdays, September 6, 13, 20, 27, October 4, & 11. Class held at Catholic Charities, 7th Floor Conference Room, 7162 Reading Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45237.
- Kinship Caregiver Fall Session: 12:00-2:00 pm; Fridays, October 5, 12, 19, 26, November 4, & 11; Class held at Catholic Charities, Hamilton office, 1910 Fairgrove Ave, Hamilton, OH 45011.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers
This program helps family caregivers like you. Classes meet once a week for six weeks. The class will give you tools to help you reduce stress; communicate effectively with other family members, doctors, and paid help; take care of yourself; reduce guilt, anger and depression; help you relax; make tough decisions; set goals and problem-solve. Participants will receive a FREE “How-To” book that contains chapters covering topics such as: hiring in-home help, helping those with memory issues, caring for children with special needs, making legal and financial decisions, understanding depression, etc. Required class size: minimum 6 participants, maximum 12 participants. Register now by calling Jeanne at 513-672-3718 or email: email@example.com.
A Time for Peace – A Healing Retreat for Caregivers
This retreat is scheduled for 8:30 am to 3 pm, Saturday, September 15, 2018 at the Schott Pavilion, Jesuit Spiritual Center at Milford, 5361 South Milford Rd, Milford, 45150. Come join us for a day of peace, contentment and renewal. Here you will find a place where you can enjoy time alone or with others engaging in holistic activities that will nurture your spirit and refresh your entire being. Feel the freedom of enjoying the beautiful outdoors, and reflectively walking the labyrinth. Come and recharge your body and heart with the hope that lies within. This free retreat is specially designed for caregivers responsible for the care of an elderly or disabled loved one. Please RSVP by September 7, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (513) 869-4483 to reserve your place. Co-sponsored by the Jesuit Spiritual Center, Arden Courts, Home Care Assistance and the Caregiver Assistance Network, a program of Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio funded through the Council on Aging.
- Caregiving as a Reality will be presented by Rita Nzinga, family caregiver and retiree, on Friday, August 24, 2018 at 2:00 pm in the 3rd floor Hobby Room at the Barrington of Oakley, 4855 Babson Place, 45227.
Are you struggling with caregiving? Have you forgotten who you are? Rita, herself, is a caregiver for her husband; a stroke survivor suffering from both Parkinson’s disease and renal failure. Please come out and join Rita as we talk, share and hopefully work through the reality of being both a caregiver and the person you always were. Program is free, but please RSVP to Angie at (513) 869-4483 or email@example.com.
- Aging and Anxiety will be presented by Rev. Jill Croswell, M.A.P.C. on Thursday, September 6, 2018 from 6:00 – 7:30 PM in the Guadalupe Room at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, 7820 Beechmont Ave, 45255.
Aging and chronic illness can leave us unsure of ourselves and nervous about completing simple tasks. What causes this anxiety? How do we help calm our aging loved ones? How do we keep calm ourselves? Please join us as we discuss anxiety in older adults. Come explore this challenging topic in a safe and loving atmosphere. Program is free, but please RSVP to Angie at (513) 869-4483 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Safe at Home will be presented by Yolanda Alvarado, MediGold membership specialist on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 1:00 pm in the Parish Center at St. Columbkille, 73 N. Mulberry St., Wilmington, OH 45117.
You never know when an emergency will occur! Yolanda will be discussing everyday items that can “Save the Day”. In this fun and informative workshop you will learn how everyday items like aluminum foil, a coat hanger, or a can of tuna can be re-purposed to become household lifesavers. Be prepared for a few laughs and plenty of wows as a few of these creative ideas are demonstrated. A list of must haves will be provided. For more information contact Mary Camp at (937) 382-1717.
- The Art of Compassionate Conversation: Advance Care Planning with those we love will be presented by Vivian Hunnings, M.Div, BSN, RN on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 from 7:00 – 8:30 PM in the Gathering Space at St. John the Baptist, 5361 Dry Ridge Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45252.
This interactive program will cover the basics of advance care planning, including living will and medical power of attorney. We will go over key medical terms commonly used in advance care planning and practice advance care planning conversation skills with fun, interactive exercises. Program is free, but please RSVP to Angie at (513) 869-4483 or email@example.com.
- Community Safety will be presented by Captain Laroy Smith, on Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 3:00 pm in the Convent Conference Room at St. Joseph Catholic Church and School, 745 Ezzard Charles Dr., 45203.
Are you concerned about safety in your neighborhood? What should you do if you see something suspicious? Captain Laroy Smith is a retired police officer, currently working for HSPS Special Operations, a private duty professional security company. He will talk with us about community safety and how the neighborhood and the police can work together to create a safer environment for seniors and children. Program is free, but please RSVP to Angie at (513) 869-4483 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Advance Care Planning: Where Do We Begin? will be presented by Angie Homoelle, Caregiver Assistance Network on Monday, September 17, 2018 from 7:00 – 8:30 PM in the Fr. Kotter Library at St. Martin of Tours, 3720 St. Martin Place, 45211.
Do you know you need to have this talk with your loved one, but not sure where to start? This interactive program will guide you through these important conversations with family members. We will cover the basics of advance care planning, including living will and medical power of attorney. Communication is the key – bring your loved ones so we can start this conversation together. Program is free, but please RSVP to Angie at (513) 869-4483 or email@example.com.
- Dealing with Loss as a Caregiver will be presented by Scott Stephens, LISW-S on Thursday, September 27, 2018 from 1:15 – 2:45 PM in the Fr. Gratsch Room at St. Ignatius, 5222 North Bend Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45247.
Come receive support for dealing with loss. Whether you have experienced a recent or past loss, or are anticipating loss, this talk helps you to learn the importance of acknowledging your grief, allowing yourself to grieve, and then refocusing your efforts in a new direction. Program is free, but please RSVP to Angie at (513) 869-4483 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
14th Annual Caregiver Recognition Mass
Sunday, November 11, 2018, 11:00 am Mass, Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains, 325 West Eighth Street, Downtown Cincinnati. Nomination form to submit caregivers for recognition can be found at at http://www.stpeterinchainscathedral.org/White-Mass