POSITION TITLE: Immigration Advocate
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Immigration Legal Services
REPORTS TO: Immigration Legal Services Director
WORK HOURS: 37.5
LOCATION: 1910 Fairgrove Ave, Hamilton OH 45011
Provide substantive legal immigration services to Catholic Charities of Southwestern Ohio (CCSWO) clients under the supervision of the ILS Attorney/ILS Director. The Immigration Advocate will carry an individual caseload and will be primarily responsible for the management of cases, including case deadlines, drafting and submitting client’s applications and petitions for immigration benefits, collecting client information and maintaining the confidentiality of client information, and communicating with clients regarding their cases.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assume primary responsibility for the legal representation of clients in their applications and petitions for immigration benefits, including family-based immigrant visa petitions, adjustment of status, deferred action, employment authorization, travel authorization, renewals of status, consular processing, and humanitarian-based petitions, as needed and under the supervision of the Immigration Attorney/ILS Director.
- Guide clients through the legal process for applying for immigration benefits and assist clients in navigating the various government agencies responsible for reviewing and approving applications and petitions for immigration benefits.
- Identify and adhere to case deadlines, including deadlines to file applications for benefits and submit responses to Requests for Evidence.
- Work with clients from diverse backgrounds on the aforementioned applications and petitions for immigration benefits.
- Collect and maintain confidentiality of client documents and information required for filing for immigration benefits.
- Follow case management systems for individual caseload in line with CCSWO policies.
- Draft, organize, and finalize aforementioned applications and petitions for immigration benefits for CCSWO clients.
- Communicate regularly with clients to keep them informed of the case process and major developments in the case.
- Communicate regularly with the Immigration Attorney/ILS Director regarding assigned cases.
- Work in a team environment to further the mission of the ILS Department.
- Collaborate with community partners to provide legal services to CCSWO clients.
- Participate in 2-4 legal clinics/trainings per year as required by the ILS Director.
- Carry an active caseload as directed by supervisor.
- Submit monthly reports to ILS Director.
- Provide direction and assistance to CCSWOH volunteers and interns as directed by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in legal studies, paralegal studies, or a related field.
- Two (2-3) years of case management experience.
- Fluent in written and oral English and any of the following: Spanish, French, Swahili, Arabic, Nepali, and/or any other language spoken by CCSWO clients.
- Familiarity with computer systems, including Microsoft Office suite, Office 365, SharePoint, and legal case management programs.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- High energy and passion for Catholic Charities’ mission.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Prior Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) accreditation highly preferred.
Employees of Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of Catholic Charities. Employees will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
Typical office environment, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues
Must be able to meet the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Use hands to manipulate, handle, feel, and control items or equipment
- Talk to other employees/clients and hear them
- See and be able to read, write, and interpret written documents
- Occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 15 pounds
Please submit resume to [email protected]