POSITION TITLE: Immigration Legal Services Attorney – Afghan Evacuee Support
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Immigration Legal Services
REPORTS TO: Immigration Legal Services Director
LOCATION: Cincinnati/MidPointe Office
DATE: July 2022 – June 2023
Immigration attorney to represent Afghan parolees resettled in the Cincinnati and Dayton areas. Will provide legal counsel on immigration-related cases for Afghan parolees. Attorney will provide case assessment and direct legal services to recent Afghan arrivals, including Special Immigrant Visas, Temporary Protected Status, asylum and family-based petitions. This is a one-year position.
Essential Job Functions:
- Meet with clients to discuss immigration cases and to devise case strategies.
- Execute retainer agreements with clients that specify the parameters of the working relationship.
- Research cases by interviewing clients, reviewing evidence, and speaking with the client and ILS director to determine the best strategy for the case.
- Assist clients with preparing, submitting for review, and defending applications for immigration-related benefits, including asylum applications, Special Immigrant Visas, family-based petitions, lawful permanent residency, work authorization applications, and Temporary Protected Status
- Maintain case files with current information and documentation in accordance with office policies and procedures.
- Keep clients informed of the status of their case and reasonably respond to client questions during the normal course of representation.
- Travel to asylum and USCIS interviews, community outreach events, client meetings, etc.
- Comply with all federal, state, and local professional ethical rules and regulations.
- Uphold the agency’s mission statement.
- Other duties as assigned, such as assisting director with reports to funders.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Licensed Attorney (U.S.).
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good analytical skills to make decisions in the best interest of the clients and the agency.
- Demonstrated ability to work with partners and groups.
- Proficient in computer-based case management systems and Microsoft Office Suite.
- State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License that meets CCSWOH current carrier guidelines.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Two years of immigration law experience
- Fluency in Pashto or Dari
Employees of Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of Catholic Charities. Employees will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
Typical office environment with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues.
Must be able to meet the following physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Use hands to manipulate, handle, feel, and control items or equipment;
- Talk to other employees and clients and hear them;
- See and be able to read, write, and interpret written documents; and,
- Occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 15 pounds.
Please submit resumes to email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.