POSITION TITLE: Immigration Legal Services Staff Attorney
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Immigration Legal Services
REPORTS TO: Immigration Legal Services Director
LOCATION: 7162 Reading Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237
The ILS Staff Attorney will represent individuals in immigration-related cases. Provides legal counsel and advice on immigration-related cases with a focus on humanitarian immigration benefits, such as political asylum, removal defense, U- and T-visas, VAWA, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status. Represents CCSWO-identified clients in legal proceedings as appropriate to complete their immigration case. Gives immigration law presentations in the community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Meet with clients to discuss immigration cases and to devise case strategies.
- Execute retainer agreements with clients that specify the parameters of the working relationship.
- Research cases by interviewing clients, reviewing evidence, and speaking with the client and ILS director to determine the best strategy for the case.
- Attend hearings and interviews on behalf of clients and advise clients following each hearing.
- Provide legal guidance and support.
- Assist clients with preparing, submitting for review, and defending applications for immigration-related benefits, including asylum applications, U- and T-visas, VAWA, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, lawful permanent residency applications, and work authorization applications.
- Maintain case files with current information and documentation in accordance with office policies and procedures.
- Participate in regular community outreach, including presentations to client communities, funders, and the wider community as well as assisting at legal workshops hosted by CCSWO.
- Keep clients informed of the status of their case and reasonably respond to client questions during the normal course of representation.
- Travel to court hearings, USCIS interviews, community outreach events, client meetings, etc.
- Comply with all federal, state, and local professional ethical rules and regulations.
- Provide guidance to ILS staff, including volunteers and interns, regarding issues pertaining to legal services being provided and relates changes in immigration law to ILS staff.
- Review, develop, or modify work plans, methods, determine work priorities. Reviews work for accuracy and completeness, and returns assignments with recommendations.
- Uphold the agency’s mission statement.
- Other duties as assigned, such as assisting director with reports to funders.
Immigration Legal Services DOJ Accredited Representatives
- License to practice law in Ohio preferred, a member of the Ohio Bar, and ability to practice in the federal immigration court system. Alternatively, license to practice in another state.
- Bachelor Degree plus Juris Doctor
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good analytical skills to make decisions in the best interest of the clients and the agency.
- Demonstrated ability to work with partners and groups.
- Proficient in computer-based case management systems and Microsoft Office Suite.
- State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License that meets CCSWOH current carrier guidelines.
- Two years of immigration law experience
- Fluent in Spanish or another language (such as Swahili, French, Fulani, Tigrinya)
Employees of Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of Catholic Charities. Employees will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
Typical office environment, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues
Must be able to meet the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Use hands to manipulate, handle, feel, and control items or equipment
- Talk to other employees/clients and hear them
- See and be able to read, write, and interpret written documents
- Occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 15 pounds
Please submit resume to [email protected]