POSITION TITLE: Vacaciones Útiles Teacher (Summer 2023)
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Su Casa Hispanic Center
REPORTS TO: Education Services Supervisor
WORK HOURS: 30-37.5 Hours Per Week
DATE: Monday, June 5, 2023- Friday, August4, 2023
WORK LOCATION: Midpointe, Cincinnati OH, St. Clement Catholic School
Su Casa Hispanic Center’s academic enrichment summer camp, Vacaciones Útiles, is celebrating its 15th year serving low-income Hispanic/Latino children in Greater Cincinnati. The objective of the program is to close academic achievement gaps for children entering Kindergarten through third grade. This is achieved by providing a fun and supportive summer camp that encourages academic and social-emotional growth in a culturally sensitive, bilingual environment. Children disproportionately suffered learning loss and a regression in SEL as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. We offer bilingual programming aimed at strengthening the core skills needed for success in the upcoming school year. Teachers offer instruction in critical reading and math skills; create and implement curriculum for their class with guidance and support from the Education Services staff of Su Casa Hispanic Center; support registration and testing; chaperone field trips and outdoor activities to promote a love of learning and academic success for the children in our program. VU’ is the capstone of our Youth Education programs, which include after-school and virtual tutoring during the academic year.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Create and document weekly lessons and activities that meet the objectives of the program.
2. Set up classrooms and maintain a clean and organized learning environment for your students.
3. Promote a positive learning experience by modeling exemplary behavior and encouraging students to do their best.
4. Assist during meal times (breakfast and lunch will be provided for children).
5. Implement skill-targeted/standards-based lesson plans based on a weekly theme that highlight critical math, reading, and science skills.
6. Chaperone field trips, sports lessons, and indoor/outdoor recreation time.
7. Assess students’ progress with a pretest and posttest; provide accurate attendance and testing data for reporting program outcomes.
8. Operate a bilingual classroom, emphasizing English directions and academic content while promoting communication and enrichment in Spanish.
9. Communicate with parents and staff about the child’s development and progress.
10. Attend weekly staff meetings to provide feedback and suggestions; collaborate with teachers and staff to plan lessons and activities.
11. Generate reports for parents and funders in order to demonstrate progress in academic skills . Provide feedback and suggestions for academic improvement.
12. Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Skills Requirements:
1. Two years or more experience working in an early childhood/elementary school setting. Preference will be given to teachers who currently hold a valid educator license or
2. Experience in lesson planning, curriculum development, and classroom management.
3. Experience working with the immigrant community.
4. Ability to communicate in Spanish.
5. Bachelor’s Degree required; degree in Early Childhood Education preferred.
- English required; fluent oral and written skills in English
- Fluent oral and written skills in Spanish preferred. Other languages desired.
- A minimum of intermediate computer skills required and ability to implement technology for remote learning.
- Familiarity with Google Workspace/Drive, MS Office and knowledge of online educational programs required.
- Must be able to enter and retrieve data using computer data management systems applications, and other office equipment.
Employees of Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of Catholic Charities. Employees will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
Job will be performed in a typical classroom environment, with supervision of outdoor recreation activities required. Must be able to work inside and outside in summer weather conditions.
Must be able to meet the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Use hands to manipulate, handle, feel, and control items or equipment
- Talk to other employees/clients and hear them
- See and be able to read, write, and interpret written documents
- Occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.