POSITION TITLE: Vacaciones Útiles Teacher for Virtual Camp 2021
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Su Casa Hispanic Center
REPORTS TO: Education Services Supervisor
WORK HOURS: 20-25 Hours Per Week
DATE: Tuesday, June 1, 2021-Friday, August 13, 2021
WORK LOCATION: Remote, MidPointe Cincinnati
Su Casa’s academic enrichment summer camp, Vacaciones Útiles, is celebrating its 13th year serving low-income Hispanic/Latino children entering preschool through second grade. The objective of VÚ is to bridge the opportunity gap between these children and their peers by providing a fun and supportive summer camp that encourages academic and social-emotional growth. Last year our program was reimagined and modified from an in-person camp to a remote one due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We offer bilingual programming aimed at strengthening the core skills needed for success in the upcoming school year. The program focuses mainly on rising first, second, and third graders, but children are grouped by English literacy skills rather than grade. Teachers offer instruction in critical reading and math skills in small groups via Google Meet conferencing supplemented by online literacy and math programs. Teachers create and implement curriculum for their cohort with guidance and support from the Education Services staff of Su Casa Hispanic Center. This modified virtual camp emphasizes supporting families and children accessing educational content in a computer-based environment. All children who participate in VÚ receive Chromebooks to minimize barriers to technology.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and document daily and weekly lessons and activities to be completed at home that meet the objectives of the program.
- Promote an organized online learning environment that maximizes student engagement.
- Promote a positive learning experience by modeling exemplary behavior and encouraging students to do their best.
- Assist families with technical challenges to optimize online learning.
- Implement skill-targeted lesson plans based on a weekly theme that highlight critical math, reading, and science skills.
- Incorporate virtual field trips, encourage sports and movement, and indoor/outdoor recreation time.
- Assess students’ progress and participation throughout the 8-week program.
- Maintain accurate records of attendance and student progress/testing.
- Operate a bilingual virtual classroom, emphasizing English directions and academic content while promoting communication and enrichment in Spanish.
- Communicate with parents and staff about child’s development and progress.
- Attend weekly virtual staff meetings to provide feedback and suggestions; collaborate with teachers and staff to plan lesson and activities.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and Skills Requirements:
- At least two years of experience working in an early childhood/elementary school setting.
- Experience in lesson planning, curriculum development, and classroom management in an online learning environment, preferably with Google Workspace and Google Classroom.
- Experience working with the immigrant community.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Some post-secondary education required.
- Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred.
- English required; fluent oral and written skills in English and Spanish preferred.
- Required knowledge of Google Classroom and Google Meet teleconferencing applications. Ability to help troubleshoot common technical issues with downloading applications and using computer programs for education. Knowledge of Microsoft Office. Must be able to enter and retrieve data using computer systems, systems applications, and other office equipment. Must have intermediate to advanced level of computer knowledge, and ability to implement technology for remote learning.
Employees of Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of Catholic Charities. Employees will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
Job will be performed remotely. There are required in-person orientations with campers and their families for registration and a tech tutorial before camp begins during the first two weeks of June.
Must be able to meet the following physical requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Use hands to manipulate, handle, feel, and control items or equipment
- Talk to other employees/clients and hear them
- See and be able to read, write, and interpret written documents
- Occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Please submit resumes to [email protected]. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.